Progesterone in Oil
Progesterone in Oil is an intramuscular injection containing the hormone...
This med has 5 steps. Swipe to navigate.
Step 1: Gather your supplies, and wash your hands
- You will need: Vial of progesterone in oil, 3 cc syringe, 18 gauge 1 and 1/2 needle for mixing, 22 gauge 1 and 1/2 needle for administration, alcohol pads and a sharps disposal.
Step 2: Draw up your dose
- Pop the cap off of the medication vial and clean the rubber stopper with an alcohol pad. Let it air dry.
- Insert the needle into the vial and pull back on the plunger, drawing up the amount of progesterone in oil your doctor prescribed. Withdraw the needle.
Step 3: Prep your needle
- Using the cap, twist off the mixing needle. Attach the administration needle by twisting it onto the syringe. Holding the syringe with the needle up, tap the barrel of the syringe and press on the plunger until a small drop of medication appears at the tip of the needle.
Step 4: Pick your injection site
- The best place to administer this injection is in the upper left or right butt cheek. You can switch off sides to reduce soreness. Clean the site with an alcohol pad and let air dry.
Step 5: Administer the injection
- Holding the skin taught, hold the syringe at a 90 degree angle and insert it all the way in your skin.
- Push down the plunger until all the medication is out of the syringe. When done, withdraw the needle. There might be a little bleeding afterwards so don't be alarmed.
Be sure to dispose of the needle in the sharps container. You did it!